The Internship Search: Getting the Internship!

It might come after tens of applications or one, as an email or a phone call but eventually, if you keep trying, everyone lands and internship, and with some luck it’s the one you really wanted.  I’ve been lucky enough to have a lot of support and guidance through the application and interviewing process, and I’m happy to say that a few weeks ago I got a job at my top choice agency. If you’re in this situation take a minute to congratulate yourself, check something off your to do list, de-stress a little. If you’re not don’t worry there’s plenty of time to keep applying, interviewing, and if you’ve done those things, who knows, your letter might be on its way as we speak.

The process certainly doesn’t end with getting the internship, though.  There are still apartments to sublet, rooms to rent, and dates to confirm.  Some great sources are WildCatPads and The School of Communication’s housing information for Oakwood, if you plan on living in Los Angeles. If you need financial assistance for your internship there are SoC scholarships you can apply to through the School of Communication website as well.  They are need based and contingent on having a secured and relevant position in your area of job interest.

This is the time to begin considering start and end dates.  In the case of larger companies these dates may have already been decided, but it seems most employers are flexible, especially considering our late end date. I am currently in scheduling limbo, as I wait for my housing application to be processed, but that’s the reality of moving to a new city for three months to work full or part time. Sometimes the logistics of setting yourself up in a new place can be almost as daunting as getting the internship in the first place, so start early. Hopefully you know all of this already, but now’s the time to confirm how many hours you are expected to work.  How many days you are expected you to come in? I have seen internships that range anywhere from a few hours, one a week for a month, to full time for the entire summer/quarter.  This can be important when you begin to consider the monetary burden of living in a new city.  Most intern style living is not the most economical, but it is hassle free.  You can also go the independent rout and find an apartment to lease or sublet yourself.  You may find less expensive options this way, but you also take on more risk, and there will be more work involved. If you have friends or family to stay with room and board free, then you will be the envy of all the other summer interns.

If you’re like me, and your position isn’t paid, then there is also the question of getting a part time job while working away from home and school. I’m looking into lifeguarding jobs, which is a convenient special skill to have, particularly in the summer. But when looking for jobs consider the areas in which you have experience. Where did you work in high school? What seasonal jobs are available where you’re moving? Once again if your internship is paid I am quite envious.

Through all these logistics though remember that you are in the pursuit of a future career.  Internships are paramount to a well-rounded educational experience, and it will be worth it in the end.

Our blogger is a Junior RTVF and Weinberg student looking for an internship in New York City for this summer. Follow them as they share their story of an internship search.