Adventures of an EPICS Intern: Making the Most of My Internship

This past weekend I helped run Prologue’s general auditions for their 2014-2015 season.  We were auditioning for Prologue’s three mainstage shows as well as for Landmark, Prologue’s short play festival.  Auditions took place at Chicago Dramatists on Saturday from 9:30am to 4:00pm and Sunday from 10:00am to 4:00pm.  I had the opportunity to meet the directors and one of the playwrights for the upcoming season.  I also got to interact with a lot of Chicago actors.  However, the most exciting and educational part of the weekend was watching the actors audition.  I have never been on the other side of the audition experience and I learned so much through observation.  So many seemingly subtle choices- the way you introduce yourself, the order in which you perform your pieces, etc.- can hugely influence the way the auditors perceive an audition.  I am so happy to have had this experience and I can’t wait to apply what I’ve learned to my future auditions!

Earlier in the month I met with Whitney, Prologue’s Casting Director, to help schedule auditions.  Now that auditions have passed, my next project is to help Angela, Prologue’s Artistic Director and my internship mentor, sort through headshots and decide which actors we would like to further consider for Prologue’s mainstage shows.

Watching auditions was a valuable and enjoyable experience.  I do not have a lot of experience with casting but I had a lot of fun and I asked to help out with any future audition or casting projects Prologue has for this summer.  I’m having a great time with my internship- Angela and everyone else on Prologue are eager to help me get as knowledge and experience out of this summer as possible!

Sophie Neff is a rising junior Theatre major interning at Prologue Theatre Company in Chicago, IL.