Life After NU: The End of the Beginning

I’ve been out in perpetually sunny LA for nine weeks now. The time has certainly flown by! Now that I’ve passed the two-month mark—I think I got an A+ for this quarter (oh wait, I’ve graduated, no more grades!)—I can stop counting. Because I’m here to stay. And I haven’t taken a math course in five years, so I’m a little rusty…

In the past month since my last post, nothing has radically changed. Work is consistently great, the sun is dependably out (except when it reluctantly retreats for nighttime), and the ground hasn’t shifted yet (i.e., I still haven’t experienced my first earthquake). Everything has continued to settle down as I’ve settled in. And that’s a good thing. Although there will always be more things to see and do, and my list is still growing, I’m becoming increasingly comfortable in this new city that I can now call home.

My job as a Post PA at Abominable Pictures has continued to be fantastic! Several episodes of Childrens Hospital are approaching picture lock, and multiple other shows are in the delivery pipeline. For the approaching second season of Newsreaders, I’ve been able to sit in on, and take rapid-fire notes for, a few ADR and voiceover sessions. It was a great learning opportunity to see how a professional sound mixer works (with an impressive setup) and listen to the executive producer’s detailed feedback. Plus, I got to meet some big-name actors!

Hanging with my cousin at the beautiful Getty Villa.

In addition to my main PA work, I’ve been given new tasks that have utilized my tech skills. I’m still hard at work on that poster, though I’m afraid I’m slowly killing my computer with the humongous file size…I’ve also been using Photoshop to make DVD cases. I’ve enjoyed having the creative freedom to come up with my own ideas while also receiving notes to refine each image. It’s important to be able to collaborate to create a final product, and it almost always turns out better for it!

Even more exciting, I’ve had a lead role in researching and making proposals for a complete post production upgrade. We do all of our editing in-house, which means we have to keep on top of the current technology. It’s been my job to decide which computers and peripherals to purchase, how to upgrade Avid, and to help orchestrate the whole operation. Between this and the multiple shows we’re juggling, work has continued to be perfectly busy. So busy, in fact, that I’ll be staying on at Abominable! I couldn’t be more enthusiastic to continue working at such a phenomenal company!

In my first post, I made some initial observations after just a few days here, so to conclude this blogging series, here are some additional stray observations made over the past two months:

Valet parking companies, not the films studios, run the city.

There are countless donut shops here. Not the fancy artisan donut shops that have invaded Chicago, but shops that are neighborhood institutions. Interestingly, there are several that also serve Chinese food. Whatever floats people’s taste buds!

Ikea is a frightening place.

Lots of movie theaters have assigned seating. I can’t decide what I think about this practice. You have to plan in advance to reserve prime middle seats, but this method means you don’t have to show up to the theater inhumanely early. LA certainly is a city that revolves around movies.

Everywhere is “far.” In this sentence, “far” means twenty minutes away.

After two months of real world experience, I surely must have some overarching bit of wisdom to impart on those still in college, right? I’ve racked my brain for the best thing you can do to prepare for a long-hour job in the entertainment industry, and I’ve settled on one final piece of advice: Eat Your Vegetables.

Robbie Stern is a recent graduate of the School of Communication and majored in RTVF. He now works for Abominable Pictures.